Name:
Location: Tallahassee - Miami, Florida, United States

Just a guy who loves coffee and shares coffee.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

update

Miami:
I have been in Miami for a week now and it has provided a lot of time to reflect on different things: how things were, how things are, how things will be; friends, old and new; God, his promises; passions, like reading, writing. Most days are spent in a coffee shop or a bookstore with a book, or driving around searching for one place in this city with comfortable seating and perhaps free wireless internet. The search is not going well.

Other days have been spent laying on a beach or dancing with the tide of a salt water partner gently caressing my shoulders.

I have spent time in my backyard pulling weeds and racking my yard to stir up the soil as I envision and new bed of life skirting the yard.

And then there are my walks. A habit I picked up in Tallahassee, only these new walks I find myself doing alone. It feels incomplete but I will continue them until they feel fulfilled.

This life, it appears, is incredibly fulfilling, like the dream of any retired person, ripe with age and experience, finally at a point where all their life's lessons culminate into a simple life. Read. Walk. Garden. Relax. But satisfaction does not come so easily to a stubborn mule such as myself. I find dissatisfaction and long for another time and place. And then voices rise up around me, like a word from Heaven, and peace is laid upon my head. Community, that which I long for, that which I seek, speaks to me from across the state. Voices from Tallahassee, Melbourne, Tampa, New Port Richie, they all call on me to remind me that what God has given us does not end. His work is not over and He has not forsaken us. He will be with us, guide us, and when we feel alone, He will be there to comfort us.

So tonight I am at peace and I thank God for his Shalom. And I thank the people he uses: Michael Christopher, your words and your constant friendship are like the base of Mount Rainer and I thank you for allowing me to walk alongside you; RJ, years ago when you, Josh, and I walked around Lake Ella on our last night as roomates, you asked us if we considered you a brother...you have been one since the day we moved in together and the friendship you have offered and the encouragment you have given, and the patience you have excercised with me shows me of a love that lays itself down for a friend; Adam, your ability to forgive is one that is something I do not deserve and your faithfulness is something that I pray I can have. Thank you all.

Please pray for me as I learn to live again.

"I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there. Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more time for that one. It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves." - "Walden"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home